Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day





I don't want to let Veterans Day pass by without expressing my gratitude for those courageous men and women who fight or have fought for our country and the freedoms we enjoy here.

I especially want to honor one special Veteran today: My Dad




My dad was in was in the United States Navy when we were really young and living in San Diego. But I still remember going to different places to see and learn about the ships, planes, tanks, and other cool military stuff.

It wasn't until 2003 that my dad went overseas to Iraq as part of the United States Army Reserves Operation Iraqi Freedom. He was there for about a year, and we got a few phone calls (too bad there was no Skype back then) and lots of letters/postcards, some that even contained cool Iraqi money and stuff.

My dad said: "I lived on a ship similar to this, which is kind of amazing when I think about it now. No civilian job compares to this."




I remember one story my dad told me about a generous man who paid for a bunch the soldiers' coffee as they were in the airport on their way home from Iraq. Thank you, kind stranger, for showing such appreciation to my deserving dad, and the others who were with him. I hope someday to be able to be the answer to a daughter's prayers that her father will be safe and comforted while he's away like that man was to me.

Luckily, my dad made it home safe and sound...but I know not everyone is so lucky, so let's pray extra hard today that those who are currently serving will return safely back to there homes and families.

Thanks again to all who have served our country.
Happy Veterans Day

2 comments: