Monday, November 15, 2010

Three Cases of Resiliency


So early in our marriage, I told Tyler I liked getting little potted plants more than cut flowers because the plants lasted so much longer...little did I know...

Since then, Tyler has given me little plants on special occasions, such as, the first day of a new semester, the day we moved into our new house, when I started my new job, etc. Tyler has such good taste and always gets me unique or exotic flowers! I love to take care of these little plants, and I don't know if it's my "green thumb" or if I'm just lucky, but here are three of my flowers that have surpassed all expectations!

When we moved into our new house last February, Tyler gave me this awesome cyclamen plant. At first they looked like this...




ok so they aren't quite as pretty now as they were back then, but the amazing thing is that for the last 9 months, they have always had at least a few flowers on them, nonstop!
I love looking into the bottom and always seeing more and more little buds! It's the never-ending flower!!




In September of 2009, Tyler gave me one of those little daisy plants. After a few months I had to switch it to a bigger pot, and again after another few months, until finally, it was too big for my biggest pots!
I finally decided to plant it outside along one of our fences and see how it would hold up...now it's over 2 feet tall and taking over that corner! And blooming more than ever! This is my first plant to live over a year!





The last and most astounding case of resiliency is seen in my beautiful hyacinth plant which Tyler gave to me in January of 2010 for the first day of my last semester of college.

(which looks like this when it's blooming, but this is at Temple Square last Spring)

They bloomed beautifully, but eventually withered and died. But I was not going to let that be the end! I even forced Alyssa to water "this dead plant" when she plant-sitted for us!
And, LOOK! It paid off! Amidst all the old dead parts, it just started to re-grow! Amazing, isn't it!?



So there you have it, 3 of my favorite little flower plants!

1 comment:

  1. You really do have a green thumb. I'm impressed with your hyacinth. I had an amaryllis from last Christmas that I just let die, and I set the pot outside and neglected it. All of the sudden it began to sprout leaves again, so I brought it in the kitchen. The next day, I noticed it was all covered with little black bugs, so it went back outside to fend for itself this winter!

    ReplyDelete